The Green House Hotel owners recieve their award from judge Debbie Hindle. Picture Credit Considerate Hoteliers.
Considerate Hotel Awards
by Sharon Garfinkel
On 6 June, over 100 people gathered at The Landmark Hotel, London, to acknowledge those hotel businesses that - in a nutshell - consider the environment. Sharon Garfinkel reports....
Hotels should be doing more than the bare minimum for the environment. Sadly, not enough do so. It is refreshing, however, to discover that some of those that recognise the importance of the environment were awarded recently by the Considerate Hotel Awards - which have been celebrated for over 20 years - at its annual bash which celebrates the best in environmental, sustainable and socially responsible performance. All of the winners in the different categories had excelled in their different ways in their work for the environment.
The Green House, Bournemouth, was named Considerate Hotel of the Year 2013 as it had made over 100 notable achievements in reducing water, energy and waste consumption, as well as increasing its use of local and sustainable food. The building is heated using a combination of the thermal solar panels on their roof and heat produced by the Combined Heat and Power unit that produces much of their electricity. Added to this, their intelligent lighting system means that lighting only comes on when needed.
The Green House and the other eight award winners deserve top marks for all the work they continue to do for the environment.
1. Considerate Hotel of the Year 2013 - The Green House, Bournemouth. Highly commended - Soho Hotel, London. (Sponsored by Veolia Environmental Services)
2. The Considerate Small Accommodation Provider of the Year - Bryn Elltyd Eco Guest House, Snowdonia, Wales
3. The Considerate Green Team of the Year - The Savoy, London (Sponsored by Beacon Purchasing)
4. The Considerate Green Champion of the Year - Dave Bell, Chief Engineer, Park Plaza Westminster Bridge (Sponsored by Gram, UK)
5. The Considerate Sustainable Food Award - Montagu Arms, Beaulieu (supported by Sustain)
6. The Considerate International Hotel of the Year - Guldsmeden, Copenhagen, Denmark (Sponsored by Gilchrist & Soames)
7. The Considerate Accessible Hotel of the Year - Four Seasons London on Park Lane
8. The Considerate Green Suppliers of the Year - National: Vertue (Beds). Local: Foodspeed
9. Best Green/Considerate Marketing Initiative - Trenython Manor Hotel, Cornwall
For more information on The Considerate Hotel, please visit www.consideratehoteliers.com.
Using this website means you agree to us using simple cookies.